Spun content is dead and buried. Search algorithms are too smart, and website visitors have come to expect a seriously high level of content quality. There’s no shortcut to creating effective website content – and spinning software will send your website on a one-way-trip to the bottom of the SERPs.
Thankfully, blogging is a fantastic tool for dominating the search results. Armed with these 6 steps, you don’t need to risk spun content, or shell-out for a freelancer. Instead, you’ll be able to write killer blog content every day!
6 Steps to Blogging Every Day
6. It all starts with a keyword
If you want your blogging to improve your search engine rankings, it’s essential that we focus each post around a specific keyword.
Look for high-traffic, low-competition keywords. These usually take the form of long-tail keywords – phrases that add specific qualifiers to short-tail keywords, making them less commonly searched for, but much easier to rank for.
5. Brainstorm intriguing titles
A blog post is nothing without a killer title. Thankfully, armed with your long-tail keyword, it should be easy to create an intriguing title for your blog post. Keyword inclusion within you title is vital for effective ranking, so use your keyword as the core of your headline.
It’s a great idea to create actionable content (How to guides), answer a common question or create a mysterious title to hook your readers’ interest. If you’re stuck for ideas, experiment with these tried-and-tested formulae:
The Secret of…
Here’s A Quick Way to…
Surprising Facts You Didn’t Know About…
What Everybody Ought to Know About…
4. Create the outline of your post
Jot down the crucial points you need to cover in your blog post. Try and stick to 3-5 ideas, and group related concepts and thoughts together under each bullet point. Brevity is crucial here, and if you find yourself writing down idea after idea, your blog post might be better suited to a longer guide or whitepaper.
3. Get writing
With your blog structure all planned out, it’s time to write. It’s crucial to avoid over-thinking this process, and by pouring all of your ideas and inspiration on to the page, you’ll avoid the dreaded writer’s block. Minimise your distractions whenever possible:
- Use full screen writing mode on WordPress, or check out Ommwriter.
- Listening to music can be a valuable aid to focus, so compile a Spotify playlist of soothing songs and background music. If it improves your writing, any genre goes (and Stephen King writes to ACDC!).
- Turn off spellcheck. Spelling mistakes can easily distract from the writing process, and ruin the flow of your writing. Don’t worry about your typos – we’ll correct them all during the editing process.
- Drink coffee. You’re probably drinking a coffee whilst you read this (I am), but it’s still worth mentioning. Caffeine is a valuable tool for improving mental focus, and overcoming those early-morning blues. It also tastes awesome, which is a definite bonus.
At this point, you should have a page of ideas laid out in front of you. It doesn’t matter if your blog post is a better messy, or rough-around-the-edges. The editing process is where you’ll be able to carve a diamond out of the rough.
If possible, assign the editing process to a colleague, or leave editing until the next day. Doing so will allow you to return to the piece with a more objective perspective, and you’ll find it easier to fine-tune the structure and content of the post (and remove those pesky typos!). Ask yourself a few crucial editing questions:
- Does it answer the question?
- Is the article laid out in a clear and concise way?
- Have I missed out any crucial points?
- Can I cut out any unnecessary sentences or paragraphs?
1. Keep the momentum going with content promotion
It’s always easier to keep up your blogging when you can see real results from your work. The best way to amplify the efficacy of your blog content is to promote it across as many channels as possible:
- Social media. Use your social media accounts to promote your latest blog posts. Listen to the feedback of your followers, engage them in conversation and use their thoughts as the basis for future content. Likes, Tweets and Shares all influence search engine ranking, so don’t shy away from social media promotion.
- Email mailing lists. By adding a blog subscription button to each and every one of your blog posts, you can quickly and efficiently grow a powerful opt-in mailing list. You can then ensure that your followers are updated each time you write a blog post, massively expanding your audience every time you hit publish.
- Industry outreach. It never hurts to network with the SEO industry’s key players. By sharing their own content, and regularly engaging them across forums and social media sites, you also increase the likelihood that they’ll share your content. Ask them directly for help, and you’ll be surprised at how helpful industry experts can be.
- Linkbuilding. When it comes to promoting your content, there’s no substitute for linkbuilding. The more high-PR, quality backlinks each blog post has, the higher your chances of ranking well and attracting new visitors to your website. For a great look at linkbuilding strategy, check out my guide to Link Intersect Analysis!